Meet the Interns: Jennifer Chappell Marsh, IMF #65184


I am proud to have two MFT interns in my Mission Valley practice, both of whom offer week day and weekend appointments for individuals and couples. Want to get to know them better before you book a session? That's understandable! Here is an interview with Jennifer Chappell Marsh, one of my interns.

When did you decide to go into marriage and family therapy?

I decided to pursue a career in Marriage and Family Therapy after I was deployed with the Red Cross during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Until then, I was was on the fence between becoming a counselor or a lawyer. I knew I wanted to be an advocate. Supporting families and individuals who had been displaced and experienced trauma was the most rewarding work I had done up until that time. Being a therapist is my own way of advocating for people's core needs to be met.



Do you have advice for someone who is considering becoming an MFT?

The advice I would give someone who is considering becoming an MFT is to do their own work to know themselves and to build a really strong support system around them. As therapists, we have to take care of ourselves so that we can be fully present and effective with our clients.

What would you say to someone who is nervous about setting up their first counseling session?

I would tell someone who has never been to counseling that being nervous is absolutely normal. It's not easy to put yourself out there, and be vulnerable with a stranger. It's brave. I do my best to make my clients feel as safe and comfortable as possible. Usually, the nerves go away within the first few minutes. If not, then I'm not doing my job!

Do you have a specialty within the therapy field?

My practice mainly focuses on using Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy.

Read the rest of this interview here, and find out even more about Jennifer Chappell Marsh here. You can book an appointment online in just a few minutes!